Farm Household Allowance extended

By Hank Jongen

Department of Human Services


FROM 1 August 2018, the timeframe that farmers and their partners can receive Farm Household Allowance has been extended from three to four years.

This gives farmers facing hardship more time to become financially self-sufficient so they’re better placed to sustain their farming business.

If you previously received Farm Household Allowance for the full three years, you’ll be able to claim a fourth year from 1 August 2018.

People who are currently receiving Farm Household Allowance don’t need to do anything, as they’ll automatically receive an additional year of assistance.

The Department provides assistance to farmers in a number of ways, including delivering Farm Household Allowance, as well as having a team of dedicated Farm Household case officers who can provide specialist support and advice.

To find out more, visit or phone the Farmer Assistance Hotline on 13 23 16.

The Department also encourages any rural Australians who are suffering or likely to suffer financial hardship to contact the Rural Financial Counselling Service, which is managed by the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.

For more information, visit